Donate a Tree
Make Your Tree a Star of the Show
The trees are clearly the stars of our show… we couldn’t have a Festival without them. You’re invited to become part of this wonderful holiday event by submitting a tree to our magical forest. Every tree is special, and every tree comes with its own story.
The trees are undoubtedly the stars of the show! Each year, more than 200 businesses, organizations, families, school children, and individuals create beautiful and creative trees that become the magical forest of the Festival of Trees. The trees are displayed for two weeks and viewed by thousands of people from throughout New England.
Whether you’re advertising your business, promoting your organization, showcasing your children’s creations, or decorating a tree for yourself or your family, you’ll be proud to be part of this exciting community event.
Your tree donation contributes to the mission of the Festival of Trees. To date, over 2 million dollars has been invested in historic preservation projects throughout the Merrimack Valley, Southern New Hampshire, and Maine!
Register online by November 1, 2023.
We have developed this list of guidelines and helpful hints to make the most of your support.
- All trees are artificial and are considered donations to the Methuen Festival of Trees. All trees will be raffled, and all items placed with the tree are part of the raffle.
- Trees must have lights, a tree topper and skirt or under tree display. Please keep in mind your tree may be viewed from all sides depending on location.
- The total height cannot exceed 9 feet (including the tree topper).
- Edible items, even if wrapped or boxed, are not allowed.
- Loose glitter, confetti, artificial snow, hot gluing or spraying of anything are not allowed in the atrium during set up.
- If you have items of value such as gift cards or lottery tickets, please make copies to place on the tree and turn in the originals to the Festival team member at check in to be stored for safety and given to tree winner. Larger items of value such as products or liquor bottles should be secured to the tree with wire or tie wraps. Gift baskets should be wrapped in cellophane to keep contents secured.
- Helpful items to have when setting up: a stepstool or a ladder if the size of your tree will require one. Scissors, tape, tie wraps, wire, ornament hooks, extra lights. Festival will supply extension cords.
- Please take all the packaging and boxes with you when you leave. Do not leave anything overnight if you have not finished decorating.
Set up times will be scheduled between Wednesday, November 8 and Saturday, November 11, 2023. You will be given an opportunity to reserve your set-up date and time when the Festival’s Tree Committee confirms your registration.
- When you come to set-up your tree, please go to the check in station in the center of the atrium and check in with a Festival of Trees team member.
- At check in you will be asked to verify the spelling and formatting of your tree name and donor name. This is a key step before the final printing of the tree display name signs. You will be assigned an ID tag number to attach to the bottom of the tree.
- When your tree is complete return to check in area and let a Festival team member know your tree is complete. A team member will then go with you to verify where your tree is located, and that the temporary name sign is with your tree.
- The Festival reserves the right to move your tree to enhance the overall display.
- During setup there are many trip hazards and breakable items throughout the atrium. For the safety of all, if you have children helping with the setup, please have them stay with you, within the area of your tree.
- There is no food or drink allowed in the atrium area during set up.
Once the tree display is complete, the trees are judged in the following ten categories:
- Most Beautiful
- Most Traditional
- Most Creative/Unique
- Best Use of Lighting
- Best Top of Tree Display
- Best Under Tree or Tree Skirt Display
- Best Use of Theme
- Best Children’s Theme
- Best Tree Done by Children
- Best Mini Tree or Mini Tree Display
The judges will choose a first, second, and third place winner in each category. In addition, the judges will choose ‘The Best of the Festival.’
A new team of judges is announced each year. The judges are not affiliated with any organization entering a tree in the Festival of Trees. Their judging is conducted anonymously and without knowledge of the person, group, or organization presenting the trees. The winners are announced during the Donor Appreciation event. Each winner receives a hand-blown crystal tree by Simon Pearce.
The Best of the Festival – The winner of this special award will be invited to present a tree as part of the following year’s Festival which will be featured at Charles Center Court.
A SPECIAL EVENING IN HONOR OF OUR DONORS
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Tree Donors, Festival Sponsors, and other donors will be invited to be the very first to experience the Festival of Trees. We appreciate every contribution to our Magical Forest. To celebrate the creativity and generosity of our donors, we’ve planned a special evening just for them.
- Meet and greet with Santa and Mrs. Claus
- Donor Photos with their trees
- Strolling Victorian Carolers
- Hors d’ouerves and a Cash Bar
- Two for One Raffle Tickets
The evening will culminate with the announcement and presentation of Tree Awards in eleven categories.